Thursday 5 July 2012

Hurricane... in Ohio???

So last week Central Ohio had one seriously wicked storm.  Some are calling it an "inland hurricane"...  80 mph winds.  Trees down.  Houses and buildings damaged.  Power out to millions of people for up to a week, or even more--and in 90+ degree heat.  (Geesh, that is worse than the bush of PNG!)

My parents certainly had their fair share of the disaster.  A very large limb from a giant oak tree fell onto the one-story part of our house, what Mom and Dad call the "music room" because that is where the baby grand lives.  The limb caused pretty significant damage to the roof as well as the surrounding deck.  Rain poured in and most likely ruined the piano.  [Tear.]  Thankfully they were not home at the time and no one was injured.

They were also without electricity for about 5 days.  Great aunt Naomi shared her generator so they had enough power to run the fridge, a few lights, and the air con at night until the power came back on Tuesday.  Unfortunately Aunt Naomi lost her power the very next day and had to get herself a new generator.  Oops!

This is one of those times when PNG seems so very far away from Ohio, even farther than the end of the earth.  I am so thankful for second hand reports and Facebook posts to know what was going on.  Wish I could have been there to help and encourage and love on my family!  Although I don't think I would have been much help with the monster log through the ceiling.  Praise God for some amazing friends and a very large tree-moving crane.  Even Grayson played pick up sticks!  The mess is now pretty much cleaned up. Mom and Dad are just waiting on insurance to start making repairs.





















Love my family.  And even though I can't be there to give you a hug, I am praying for you!!!



"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge
I will take refuge in the the shadow of your wings 
until the disaster has passed."
~ Psalm 57:1

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear and see this. I'm going to write your folks an email to find out how it's going with them. As you can see, I'm finally catching up on your blogs. I am totally overwhelmed by your and Dr. Allen's stories about the Hewa trip.

    ReplyDelete