Tuesday 3 May 2011

One day

Papa God, you were there from my beginning, from the time I was conceived.  I was not hidden from you in that place secret place.  You gave me life.  YOU gave me LIFE!  Your eyes saw my unformed body as you knit me together inside of my mother's womb.  You molded my eyes and nose and fingers and toes.  You created my inmost being and started my heart beating.  I am so fearfully and wonderfully made.

You were with me when my mama was stabbed.  You held me in your right hand as sin entered my innocent world.  The knife sliced through her abdomen and into her womb.  Ouch!  The cold sharp thing cut my leg and my tummy, too.  You were there when she was taken to the hospital and Dr. Jim did surgery to save her life and mine.  He repaired her injuries and closed the hole that allowed the light to shine into my darkness.  But even the darkness will not be dark to you, the night will shine like the day.  For you are the light of the world.


Just one week later, I entered the cold, strange, light place.  You were there when I was welcomed by Dr. Scot and Sister Sylvia.  They took me to a warm room and placed me on the rocking scale.  Even at less than one pound, I was perfectly formed--all ten fingers and toes.  Your works are wonderful, I know that full well!  Dr. Steph came to visit.  She found a scar on my leg from the knife.  My intestines spilled from the small hole where it had pierced the skin of my abdomen.  I was wrapped in a warm, soft blanket and a tube of oxygen was put in my nose.  Then I met Drs. Erin and Becky and Bill, and many of the workers at the hospital.  They were so surprised to see me fighting for life, the life you gave me!




You were with me as I took each breath.  It is hard work, too hard for my tiny body and my immature lungs.  But you had written this one day of my life in your book before it even came to be.  This one day is for me to live.  With every breath that is in me for this day, I will praise you.  With all that is in me, I will live for you.  And when I have lived the one day that you have written, I will be welcomed into your arms.

~ Psalm 139


[Baby of Gema's mother was about 6 months pregnant when she was stabbed by her husband's second wife.  She was brought to Kudjip Hospital where she had emergency surgery for her internal injuries.  At the time of surgery, Dr. Jim sewed up a laceration on the uterus, but we were unaware of any injury to the baby.  Mother recovered well and was discharged home.  About 10 days later, her water broke and she went into labor.  The baby was 460 grams at birth.  One this small will not survive in PNG, and is even unlikely to do so in a NICU in the States.  Baby of Gema lived for 24 hours before being transferred to the nursery in heaven.]

Dr. Erin also wrote a story about Gema and her baby.  Here is a link to her blog:  Against all odds.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put. Life is precious. Born and unborn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this beautiful story. We don't understand WHY sometimes, but we can always know that our Heavenly Father has a plan and this precious baby has already safely crossed into Heaven. Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete