Thursday 7 April 2011

Guava season






It is guava season.  Guavas are little green or yellow fruits with a melon pink inside.  Not my favorite fruit, but the PNG kiddos LOVE them.







Ever year about this time, the fruits begin to ripen.  The kids concurrently develop an amazing ability to climb the trees and collect their treasures.  They are like little monkeys swinging from the branches.  Though the ER does see a fair share of arm fractures and more serious injuries from those who don't climb or swing so well.

We have one guava tree in our yard.  Since I don't really care to pick or eat them, some of my little friends and neighbors politely asked if they could take care of it for me.  Despite my reservations about the risk of injury, I just could resist their cute little smiles.  Mom gave the OK and within minutes the tree was safely fruit-free.





"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
~ Galations 5:22-23

2 comments:

  1. Those kids are too cute.
    I haven't eaten fresh guava very often. I can't remember, is the skin so hard you need a knife to open? Seems like I enjoyed the flavor. Sounds like you've lumped them in with avocado :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would probably use a knife to cut them open and a spoon to scoop them out. I imagine the kids just use their teeth. And no, "not my favorite" and "absolutely disgusting" are not in the same category :).

    ReplyDelete