Wednesday 17 March 2010

10 toea sisters

When I was preparing to come to PNG, my plan was to give myself one year to adjust ot the culture and learn the medical part of my job.  As I approached my one year anniversary, I began to pray about how I might be involved in additional ministries.  My heart specifically longed for something that would help me to build deeper relationships with Papua New Guineans.

I shared my thoughts with Dr. Erin, one of my fellow missionary docs at the hospital.  We decided to start a Bible study with some of the ladies who live and work on station.  What a wonderful way to get to know some of our sisters... by studying the Word, learning and growing together!  So in February Erin and I began meeting with a small group of single women.  We began by studying 1 Timothy.  This week we moved on to the Gospel of John, and we grew to a grew of 17.  Wow!

Our times together in Bible study, at work, or just meeting on the road have been so precious.  My heart is overflowing with the joy of these new friendships.

Oh, and just a bit of explanation.  Toea (pronounced "toy-a") is the PNG equivalent to cents.  To say that you are "10 toea" (or in other words "10 cents) means that you are single.  A married person is "20 toea."

"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."
~ John 1:12-13

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I wish I could say that I recognize her in the picture, but ... is Meti in the group? I can't remember if you've mentioned whether she's 10 or 20 toea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... Meti is not in the group. She lives off station, about 20 minutes by public transport.

    ReplyDelete